Posted on: October 23, 2015 by in Criminal Defense
No Comments

Orange County criminal defense attorneyCalifornia Penal Code 1203.4

Time travel stories are fun, but we all know that you can’t actually change history. However, if you’ve been convicted of a crime in California, you might be able to do the next-best thing, and have the conviction expunged. In the past it wasn’t always a pressing matter, but today potential employers – and potential landlords and even potential dates – can just click a mouse and see your criminal history. Anyone can conduct a damaging background check in just seconds. However, you may be able to have a criminal conviction expunged with the help of an experienced Orange County criminal defense attorney. If you have a criminal conviction on your record, you’ll need to do all you can to overcome that stigma and enhance your ability to find work. When a conviction is expunged, you are honestly able to say that you do not have a criminal record.

However, not everyone with a conviction qualifies for an expungement. If you did time in a California state prison for your original sentence or for a parole violation, you are not eligible for expungement. Some California criminal convictions cannot be expunged, including sex offenses committed against children. In most other cases, however, you may expunge your criminal records under California Penal Code 1203.4 if you were convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor charge, you successfully completed probation, and you are not currently:

• charged with another crime
• on probation for another conviction
• serving a sentence for another conviction

A good Orange County criminal defense attorney can help. Items that a judge may consider during an expungement hearing include your criminal record, your probation performance, and the reason you are seeking the expungement (such as to obtain a good job to support your family). If you need to have a felony or a misdemeanor conviction expunged from your record in California, make the call immediately, and let an experienced criminal defense attorney help.

Comments are closed.