Posted on: September 16, 2015 by in Criminal Defense
No Comments

Orange County criminal defense attorneyThe right to bear arms is fundamental to our constitutional system. Even if you are not a gun owner, your right to own a gun in California is something that you do not want to lose. However, California’s firearms laws are strict. If you are convicted of a felony or particular misdemeanors, you will lose your right to possess a gun in California. You can lose your right to own a firearm for at least ten years if you are convicted of:

  • any felony
  • threatening a police officer or intimidating witnesses
  • possessing a deadly weapon with the intent to intimidate witnesses
  • battery, assault, or sexual battery
  • discharging a firearm in a grossly negligent manner

If you are charged in Orange County with any of the crimes listed here, discuss your legal rights and options immediately with an experienced Orange County criminal defense attorney. If you are employed in a field such as law enforcement, private security, or firearm sales, losing your firearm rights could mean losing your job and having fewer employment opportunities in the future.

A conviction on domestic violence charges like stalking, making criminal threats, or harassment can trigger the loss of your firearm rights. Many Californians who lose their firearm rights lose them because of a domestic violence conviction. To regain your gun rights, it’s a complicated procedure. First, you’ll need to have a felony conviction reduced to a misdemeanor conviction, and then you’ll have to have the conviction for the misdemeanor expunged. If you are convicted of brandishing or discharging a firearm, you may never be able to regain your gun rights.

Frankly, it all finally depends on your personal circumstances and your criminal record. If you are accused of a crime in southern California, retain legal counsel at once, and if you are concerned about your firearm rights, make the call immediately to an experienced Orange County criminal defense attorney who can provide sound legal advice to you and aggressive defense representation on your behalf.

Comments are closed.